Apprentice Conductor – Position Posting
The Orpheus Choir of Toronto’s vision is to celebrate the transformational power of choral music as an agent of social change and a passionate medium of artistic expression. The 65-voice choir, under Artistic Director Robert Cooper, champions the new and unusual in choral performance, commissioning and introducing new works and performing neglected masterpieces, celebrating an “expect something different” experience.
Supporting the development of young artists is one of the Orpheus Choir’s central values. Along with our highly respected Sidgwick Scholar and Vocal Apprentice programs, the Orpheus Choir offers opportunities for the young emerging conductor. The successful candidate will receive remuneration and be promoted in all Orpheus Choir marketing materials.
The successful candidate will:
• Assist the Artistic Director leading rehearsals in the Artistic Director’s absence, leading sectionals, guiding warm-ups and conducting selections in concerts as applicable to the season
• Work alongside the Artistic Director in season and concert planning
• Attend programming and board meetings to learn how a performing arts organization operates
• Help with the Vocal Apprentice Program and attend auditions
• Perform with the Orpheus Choir as a chorister
The successful candidate will possess:
• A Bachelor of Music Degree with a focus on choral conducting
• Strong understanding of conducting technique
• Strong understanding of choral techniques
• Evidence of prior conducting experience
• Good vocal technique with solo vocal potential
• Basic keyboard skills
Interested candidates are invited to prepare a cover letter and résumé combined into a single PDF, and provide two reference letters. Submit this package of information by email to Lisa Griffiths, Managing Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org; please make “Apprentice Conductor” the subject line of the email.
Deadline to apply is May 31st, 2017 at 5:00 pm.
The Orpheus Choir of Toronto is an equal opportunity employer and thanks all candidates for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
Download this posting as a pdf document.